Wow, I did not realize all the layers of data that you could add to Google Earth. I've played around a bit with it before. However, most of my class instruction has been just to show students where a place. Looking at all the resources I can see many uses of Google Earth, mainly for my Environmental Science class. Many of the .kmz files would work well with the concepts I teach in that class. Also, looking at some of the activities others have created, I can see myself modifying a few in Earth Science.
As far as online simulations, I'm always looking for appropriate simulations that either my students can manipulate or simulations that I can use in a discussion setting to illustrate important concepts. I have used the phET site many times in my 8th grade physical science class. With my high school physics class I have had students investigate many principles of mechanics using a particular applet then report to the class what they have discovered. I find that the site does help some of the students that had been having difficulty with particular concepts.
I'm always looking for good simulations that will help. Most I've used have been physical science simulations. As I browse what others are using, I definitely see many simulations that I may use in my class. Depending on the number of students in my class, I can see either the students exploring the simulation or me guiding the class through a simulation. Now I just have to "remember" where all these sites are. Hmmm... possibly another use of a social bookmarking site like diigo.
I too have used the phET site. Their online simulations for really cool. I used the pendulum one for introducing the scientific method with my Freshmen in Earth Science. They loved playing with it and using the inquiry method, I had them develop a testable question about variables affecting a pendulum's period. It worked pretty well and they kids loved playing with all the variables on the simulator. I tried using another one for the Gas Laws but wasn't as successful. I need to work on that one a bit more.
ReplyDeleteAs for Google Earth/Google maps I've barely scratched the surface on all the potential ways to utilize it! I wish I had more time to develop some of those activities utilizing the .kmz files. I have one that I used for doing hurricane tracking. It's pretty good. It was for hurricane Dean and a couple other that were occurring that same year. Here's the address for the activity guide in pdf: http://geoscience.stevekluge.com/regentses/labs/hurricanedeange.pdf
And here's the .kmz that accompanies the activity. It'd be cool to modify this to make it into a inquiry-based lesson.
I haven't come across any others like it but if you know of other files like that please let me know.
I think simulations are a great follow up to classroom activities and labs. Especially ones like you said -- that students can manipulate. For Earth science there are some great interactive simulations on NAAP website (Nebraska Astronomy Applet Project) http://astro.unl.edu/naap/ I especially like the Lunar Phase Simulator, and Motions on the Sun and have used them in my classroom. I get mixed results from the students - some say they learned better from the hands on lab, other from the simulator - so I guess I will keep doing both!
ReplyDeleteThis comment has been removed by the author.
ReplyDelete