Spent a little (too much) time on glogster. Must say that I had fun with my creation. I do have a few concerns about students using the site. My biggest concern is that I really don't like/encourage students to sign up for accounts just to do projects. I did see on the site that schools/teachers can sign up classes which may be the way to go.
Because much of glogster is image/video related, I will have to do a much better job of instructing the students about copyright issues. These issues may not be as apparent if students take their own video and pictures and embed them in their glog. (But that brings up the fact that I have little access to cameras.)
I do think that this could be a creative way for students to present projects/labs/presentations. Although I do know that some students will get so bogged down in the aesthetics of their glog, that they may miss the point.
A little about the glog. I grew up in the Glacier area, so most pictures have some sort of sentimental value. Most of the pictures I took in a trip back to Glacier in 2005, some were taken out side my family's home. Although I did not shoot or edit the embedded video, I have hiked the trail in the video. I also really like the song by Jack Gladstone. He gave a presentation in the current school I teach in, and lives not to far from my parents current residence.
Now, I think I'll explore the file conversions a bit. I've always hated showing a youtube video and the video stops part way through.
Great glog! My wife and I just spent the last 4 days staying at a friend's family cabin in East Glacier. There's still a lot of snow in the upper elevations, but it is beautiful. I like how all of the tech was integrated into your poster.
ReplyDeleteThanks, I actually grew up in East Glacier. As far as all of the tech, I just had to play around with it. I can definitely see many uses of this in my class.
ReplyDeleteNice Glog! How did you get it resized to fit the webpage here?
ReplyDeleteTo "resize" it to fit, I just copied the embedded link after the page was created and pasted it as blog text in the post
ReplyDeleteThis is very cool. I wasn't seeing how Glogster would be useful to me so I didn't pick it to explore this week but you inspired me to look at it as an option for students presentations. Thanks.
ReplyDeleteThanks, I'll give it a try.
ReplyDeleteLike you I am trying to make sure that I don't force my students to use technology for technology sake. The value that I see in glogster is that ALL of my students' paper posters do not fit on my walls, but there is no limit (I hope) to the number of glogsters that I can post virtually. Also, we spend more time on the learning if I make an assignment to review and reflect on other students' glogsters. I teach physics and we usually make a "The Physics of..." poster each year. I'm hoping that I will be able to save old glogsters for examples much more easily than the poster boards of old.
ReplyDelete